Cortisol Hormone and How it Can Hurt You
Cortisol is a stress hormone released by the adrenal glands. It is used by the body to control blood pressure, immune function, metabolism of glucose and blood sugar levels, and affects the body’s inflammatory response. Cortisol was designed to protect us when we need it most; but our prolonged stress causes the body to produce an excess of cortisol, which can wreak havoc on our mental, emotional and physical body.
Do you have any of these symptoms of prolonged stress and high levels of cortisol?
- Increased inflammation– swelling, fatigue, redness, broken capillaries
- Lower immune function - get sick more often, or takes you longer to recover
- Blood sugar issues - afternoon drop, moodiness, agitation, cravings
- Difficult or interrupted sleep
- Digestive problems
- Fat retention or belly roll
- Anxiety & Depression
- Clarity and memory function
- Premature aging
Create your personal list of 10 things that make you feel happy and relaxed! Write your list on a sticky note and post it on your refrigerator, bathroom mirror, and/or car to remind you. One of my favorites is to listen to my favorite music while making dinner. I can listen, sing and dance in my kitchen, all while doing something that can get stressful for me. Instead, I make the experience of cooking dinner really fun!
What you want for your top 10 things to help reduce your cortisol levels:
- That they are simple
- Easy to do everyday
- Do not require much of time
- Free or cheap, unless money is not an issue for you
- listen, dance or play music
- do yoga or simple stretching
- get a massage or meditate
- garden or take a walk in the sunlight
- play with your pet
- watch a comedy or your favorite movie
- get a manicure or pedicure
- daydream, browse through magazines, or visualize
- draw, paint, jump rope, or do some crafts
- read a book, pray, or take a nap
- go to the park or walk in nature
- hang out with your friends
- ...be flexible and just do it!
Like Kaliana Happy Tips? Share them with your friends!
Download my easy "Key Foods to Help You Feel Happier" eBook FREE. This way, each time you grab something from your pantry, it encourages positive moods and emotions.
Please leave your comments or thoughts to help inspire others.